Saturday, December 18, 2010

Free for a Fortnight!

I don't think kids realize how much teachers look forward to breaks, too.  I am just ecstatic that I can get away from the school ratrace for a couple weeks.  I have a couple more chores to do, such as print up homework stickers and type up a new spelling center, but other than that, I'm out of there!  Whoot!

The last couple days were a zoo, naturally, but I survived and so did the kids.

During this break, in addition to the holiday festivities, I plan to continue working on Bird's Eye, the tale about the parrot and her boy.  The plot has hit the point where I was when I aborted the last attempt, and I'm having trouble with it again.

See, the characters traveling a lot right now, and the story sounds repetitious.  Even shenanigans from the bad guys sound like the same thing.  I have some ideas for breaking the monotony.  One is just to jump forward in time to when the reach the next city and just take a miss on the how-did-they-get-there part. 

Fortunately, drafts are cheap and easy to revise, so I'll keep going, look for interesting ways to make it more interesting, and go back and edit the junk out later.

In other publishing news, I never heard back from either publisher on the two I sent off just before the school year got rockin' and rollin'.  I think that's a "no."  Hey, at least they're both still in business. I've had a few opportunities where I've submitted something ... then the company went out of business.  Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment