Sunday, October 17, 2010

Oops ... Missed a Week

That's okay.  It was a typical week with the usual shenanigans at school. 

Some good news there, though.  I think the graffiti artists have decided to call it quits for now.

I did actually get the "dog ate my homework" excuse.  I told the young lady that her excuse was old when Moses tried it.  Sadly, I got the blank "Huh?" stare for that one.

My paperwork reduction experiment is working.  I didn't get a lot of extra time to write, but I did use the time to do a bunch of other wacky things like setting up a computer to replace the one that was gradually experiencing more and more hard drive problems. 

I'm going to embark on a new story today.  I have the prewriting stuff done already, except the plot mapping.  I had tried it once already, but I didn't like where it was going and how it was getting there.

To fix that, I'm going to try doing something a little ... odd.  I'm going to try to tell the story from inside the POV of a parrot.  No, I'm not going to have the parrot be a small, feathered human.  I want to have the parrot act and interpret things as a parrot.  I have an excellent model: my Timneh African Grey engineer bird.

This may be rough for a couple reasons.  First, I'm not very good at telling a story from just one character's POV.  If I run afoul of problems with this, I'll make the parrot one of the POV characters along with the two main human characters.

Second, I'm not a parrot.  I'm only guessing at what goes on through their cute, little heads.

*Shrug*  I'll try to write a couple test scenes and see what my crit group thinks.

I have to catch up on my crits for the week before I dive in, but before even that, church.

Speaking of which, I'd better go see about breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment