Sunday, November 7, 2010

NaNoWriMo

National Novel Writing Month is a grand adventure .  The challenge is to write 50K words toward a novel, which amounts to about 1.7K words per day.  The way I write, that's 3 typed, single-spaced, 12-point, 1" margin pages.

When someone suggested I give it a shot, my first thought was, "Are you kidding me?"  I didn't think I could keep up with the pace, what with the hours I keep for work.  So far, though, I'm actually a touch ahead of schedule. 

I had to make some changes to the way I write.  There's no way I'd have time to write it by hand, which I normally do as a concession for a wrist injury many years ago, then type it in, so I'm composing at the computer.  That means I have to take a lot of breaks so I don't blow my wrist apart again.  Taking breaks means I can't just get the idea and go with it.  I have to stop for a few minutes without losing track of where I was.

It's working out, actually.  Hammering out the ~1.7K words per day is taking about 1.5-2 hours.  I really can't say it's my best writing, but the whole purpose of editing is to straighten out all those irritating little glitches.

One week down ... 3 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment