Sunday, September 19, 2010

Funny but Incorrect

At school, the first round of tests has just passed.  Don't worry.  More are coming.  For each of these tests, I give bonus questions so the kids can earn some extra points.  The district policy has decreed that tests count half of the final score for the 6 weeks, so every extra point to be had on an exam could be worth its mass in gold.  As usual, I put one question in the set that has the answer built into the question.  All the kid has to do is read the question correctly and the answer is right there.

On the math test, I put the question, "If a chicken and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, how much does one pound of butter weigh?"  The funniest answer was "On Tuesday."  Yes, it was Tuesday, but that doesn't answer the question.  The best answer was "16 ounces."  Yes!  This one can read and do measurement conversions.

The science test had a different set of bonuses.  For the reading comprehension one, I put this question, "When was the War of 1812?"  The oddest answer was "The Alamo," which actually came from multiple kids.  Unfortunately, even if The Alamo qualified as a "when," the major Battle of the Alamo was in the 1830s.  The best answer, of course, was "1812."  No one got the end date, but this is a good start.

I polished off the ubiquitous paperwork last night, so this afternoon, I get to work on my writing again.  I'm still hashing out Lines of Succession, but so far all is going well.  The crit'ers I work with online must be busy or else they're finding a lot that needs fixing in Wind Herding.  I haven't heard anything back from the 2 chapters I posted for review.  That's okay.  I know they all have lives that don't revolve around my writing.  I'm not in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment