Monday, September 6, 2010

A Long Weekend!

Whoohoo!

I don't think kids realize that teachers look forward to holidays as much as the students do.

The school year is settling into a rhythm.  The kids are learning that 4th grade is more independent than 3rd and lower, so I'm there to help, but they have to nail together the courage to ask for it.  One parent was concerned about her son's failing marks, and I explained that the child didn't follow directions for assignments and never asked questions.  The next day, and every day since, he asks more questions than any 12 other kids, and his work has seriously improved in just a week.

One of my coworkers has a sign that reads, "If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your teacher told you."  Amusing but accurate.

My writing adventures also continue.  Working a few minutes at a time and longer on the weekends, I completed an edit for a tale called Wind Herding.  Unfortunately, I've been hashing and rehashing this one for a couple years, so I'm not sure I could find any errors if they all tap-danced and held signs. I've submitted the first couple chapters to a critique group I play with, and while I wait for their answers, I'll try to fix the killer plot hole I found in Lines of Succession.

No comments:

Post a Comment